CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 23, 2009

Walking for a Cure

This past weekend I was involved in wonderful cause, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. I have been a diabetic since 1989, almost 20 years, and have learned to manage everyday life while living with this chronic disease. Over the past 20 years I have never been involved in a walk like I was this weekend.


This weekend Geoff and I walked to raise funds for research to cure diabetes with some friends we have met this past year. Stephanie and Brooks Bunn invited us to be a part of their team honoring Stephanie's niece, Hailey. Hailey is 10 years old and has been a diabetic since she was 8 years old. I found it a great opportunity to join together as a team and raise money for such a great cause. I was able to raise $700 for the research foundation with the help of wonderful friends and family who have supported me throughout my life, from childhood into adulthood. I appreciate each one of the donors and thank them for their help.

On Saturday morning Geoff and I got up early and headed to the Greenville Convention Center for our walk. I was excited to get walking and hoping this would help to motivate me to start excercising more. :) Here are Geoff and I before the walk.




Here we are with Stephanie and Brooks, Stephanie was our team leader and kept everyone in order.


We had so much fun walking in the sunshine, even though it was a little chilly with the wind blowing. :) We tried to keep warm by keeping up with the kids walking with the sign. They were fast and energized, how nice to be a child again.


We wore shirts that said our team name, Hailey's Angels. Hailey is the little girl in between the boy and girl with the blue zip up jacket.

I truely believe there will be a cure for diabetes in my lifetime and I know that with more conversation, donations made, and research in this field we will find a cure. Please get involved in your area and help to CURE diabetes. Insulin is only a treatment not a cure.

Love, Katy

0 comments: