CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My adventures in sewing, Part 2

Here I am again, I can't believe I am posting 2 weeks in a row. (Ashlee will be proud)

Well week 2 went really well and I'm so excited for week 3 to start tonight. After getting my pattern, fabric, and all my notions (thread, elastic, ribbon) I was ready to get going on making my very own skirt. While picking out my pattern and fabric I wondered if anyone else in my class would pick the same ones as me. It's pretty funny because there were to matches in my class of the same pattern and no matches on fabric. Two girls chose the same pattern and I saw the one they chose but it was not my style. My pattern was the other that was chosen by someone else. I wasn't sure if I liked that someone else in my class had my pattern but I felt a little better when I saw we had chosen much different fabric.

When I got to my class, I immediately set up my machine but later realized it could have just stayed in the car. I was assuming I would be go to go, ready to start sewing but I was way ahead of myself. I forgot how long it takes to cut out a pattern and then pin it to the fabric (after getting it laid out properly and wrinkle free) and then cut out the fabric. You have to do all of those steps plus a little more before you are ready to get to sewing.

I am not a total newbie when it comes to sewing, I've made a dress for a child and other children's size items so I knew what it was like to cut out a pattern. I didn't realize all the steps you have to take and the precise methods you have to use to do so. I get to cutting out the pattern and am so excited when I finish I immediately start laying out my fabric to start pinning. This is where I was a little slower, and it's great to follow the directions of your pattern and teacher. I was a little worried I wouldn't have enough fabric but I know I bought what the pattern said so I should be good. After reading the pattern and moving the fabric around I realized I had to place the fabric exactly like the pattern and the cut the first 3 pieces out, cut the fabric in half and the cut the other 3 pieces out folding the extra half a different way. Long story short I had plenty of fabric and each piece came out great.

By the time I finished figuring out where to pin the fabric and finally cutting everything out class was over. I couldn't believe how fast the time flew by. After getting everything put up I was ready to head out and excited about putting all the pieces together tonight. Hopefully tonight will go smoothly and I won't have to become best friends with my seam ripper. :) I will leave you with some pictures from my second class and will take more tonight to show you next week.

2 comments:

The Masons

Whoo hoo - thanks for the shout out! I AM so proud of you! Not only for blogging, but for sewing as well. I can't wait to see your skirt - the pattern is so cute!

Stephanie

okay!! part 3....where are you?? i want to see the finished product!